Monday, February 17, 2014

Trying to be Thankful in All Things

Hello my blog friends!  Once again, it has been awhile since I have written a post.  I have not had to be out in the chicken house lately, so there really isn't anything funny I can tell you about that.  Although I did help him flush water lines the other week...I am becoming a pro at that! hahaha  He did have to fix a pipe....but he knew exactly what to do, so that was no biggie.  I have also had to turn on or off feeders....again, no biggie...but that has been my extent in the chicken houses.  

I will say, our farm looks like we are sitting in little white mountains....there is snow plowed up everywhere!  It makes me very thankful that he plows with tractor things rather than having to shovel it! My mom called the other day and said that their neighbor came over with their snow blower to help remove the snow from my parents driveway (thank you, Curt) and she had shoveled some too.  Then she asked me, "do you and Rod have a good shovel for up there?"  I just giggled...and said, "Mom, we don't need shovels...we have tractors!"  (Rod does use a shovel for a little bit of the sidewalk, but it just made me laugh...and her too when she thought about it!)

Oh, a problem I am having...trying to get my license updated.  To make a long story a little shorter, I went on Saturday to try to get this done.  (I don't have many opportunities to get to the DMV)  To my shock and surprise, they were closed...and yes, I did check on the computer to see if they are open on Saturdays..which they are.  Why closed...because of snow? Nope...because Monday(today) is a holiday.  So..remember that..if you need to go to the DMV on a Saturday, just make sure the following Monday is not a holiday...or else they will be closed.  Ok...I need to be thankful for something here....well, I got to spend more time shopping while I was waiting for Lauren to be done working.  I had driven out with her to save gas..and she only worked until 12:15, so it wasn't like I had a whole day to spend out there, just a few hours.  And I got a lot of bargains at Kohl's!...for which I was very thankful!

Other news...today, I got a call from the oil man who brings the oil to my other house.  He said he couldn't deliver oil because he couldn't find the steps to get into the yard! They were covered by more than a foot of snow and ice from the snow blower! (I am thankful, though, that our neighbor used his snow blower to clear the sidewalks....I don't need to worry about getting up there every time it snows)  So tonight I had to go up to shovel out the steps.  The oilman was right...you couldn't even see the steps or even tell where they were supposed to be!  Thankfully my neighbor came over with a hoe-type thing to help break up the ice.  I broke one of my old shovels trying to break up the ice!  I love good neighbors...I had them there and I have new ones here...God sure has blessed me all my life with good neighbors!

Oh, the reason I was concerned so much about making sure the oil man could come...I don't want to run out of oil again.  Yes, again.  For the first time ever, I ran totally out of oil up at the other house.  And guess what...the entire house inside is black.  Yep.....BLACK!! Apparently a furnace gets mad when it is empty and decides to get even!  I mean....if a furnace could get mad, mine was furious!!!!!!Seriously....was all that soot needed to teach me a lesson? Apparently I needed a big impact to make sure I learned my lesson.  I DID! I DID! I DID learn that I never ever want to run totally out of oil again!   But , (trying to be thankful)... because of this incident, we got the furnace cleaned...which apparently was LONG, LONG overdue!  

I started sweeping it up today...I never realized how many little spiderwebs are in a house.  Granted, we haven't lived there for almost 4 months, but still, there were a lot of little black webs in all the little nooks and crannies of the house.   I have a mountainous job to get it cleaned up....any volunteers to help?  If so, wear black!  hahaha.  If I think about it, I will take pictures on Saturday when I go up to really get started.  If you have never experienced this, you will be totally amazed! How to be thankful....I am thankful that we had a lot of stuff already moved out of the house...it could have been worse!

I was feeling a bit defeated tonight when I went up there and also coming home.  However, a twenty minute ride home was just what I needed.  Instead of letting everything bring me down, I decided to give it to God.  I remembered my life verse..."He does not give us a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and a sound mind"  and I also thought about how we are to be thankful in everything...good or bad.  Hence, the thankful blog.  So...here I am...admitting that I am trying hard to not be defeated and finding that the harder I work at trying to be thankful, the better my spirit becomes and the more relaxed I become.  God is good...ALL the time...no matter if life is throwing us candy or rotten tomatoes...He is faithful.  Shouldn't we try to be faithful to Him?  I am trying!

Until next time....eat more chicken!!! (and be thankful for it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment